Monday, October 12, 2009

The King? Not exactly.

If you have food and you want it to disappear, put it in the kitchen in my office. I don't care what it is. Last year's Christmas cookies? A half eaten birthday cake? Doesn't matter. It's like throwing candy to a pack of kids at the hometown Memorial Day parade. You put it there, it's gone. No questions asked. Well recently, the food in the kitchen became a bit of a contest and the kind everyone could get behind - donut wars. The first competitor up was Dunkin Donuts and our president quickly declared them "King" of the donuts. But I have to disagree. I mean, Dunkin the king? I’m not so sure. Like more than a few folks around here, I lean towards the endangered species of the hometown bakery. Not just for taste, but for atmosphere of what a donut shop should truly be. Where a white box tied with a string holds the product of patience and quality. All for a ridiculously low price. (probably why these little havens of doughy goodness are endangered in the first place)

And as for quality, Dunkin just can’t hold up. I know. I mean, it took two donuts to decide, but there’s just no comparison. I tried the cake, I tried the powdered and made up my mind just before I grabbed the cinnamon – Dunkin may be making strides in the world of coffee, but the donut (50% of their name) they manufacture is just that: manufactured. The old days of “Time to make the donuts” are gone and the chain – while making a strong comeback – just can’t hold a flame to the little lady behind the counter down the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment